We all worry about taxes. However, we can minimize the burden of taxes by investing in schemes and policies which are exempted from taxes. Yes, that's true! In India, the Income Tax Act, 1961, offers all taxpayers specific exemptions on eligible investments. A few of these investments include tax-saving mutual funds, fixed deposits, pension plans, PPF, as well as life insurance policies. Insurance is a must and to enhance their value and encourage people to insure and invest, the government offers tax advantages for these insurance plans: Life Insurance policies Health insurance policies
Tax benefits of life insurance policies
All life insurance policies endowment plan, whole life insurance plans, money back policies, term insurances, as well as Unit Linked Insurance Plans (ULIPs) are eligible for tax exemption under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961. The following conditions apply:
Section 80CCC provides an exemption for any amount paid in the annuity plan of Life Insurance Corporation of India or any other insurance company to secure a pension. The maximum deduction under this section is also up to 1.5 lakhs.
Under this section, the amount you receive from the insurance company is fully exempt from income tax, subject to some conditions. The exemption applies to the receipt of sum assured, bonus, maturity value, surrender value and the death benefit.
It must be noted that if you cancel or withdraw any of the tax-exempted life insurance plans before the expiry of 5 years, the deductions will stand cancelled. Your deductions will be included back in your income in the year of policy cancellation, and you would pay taxes accordingly.
Health Insurance Policies
Health insurance provides extensive health coverage only and does not secure you against any other uncertainty. However, even these plans are eligible for tax exemption under the Income Tax Act, 1961. The sections 80D, 80U, 80DD, and 80DDB provide exemptions and relief on the basis of age and diseases.
You might like these too:
- Retirement planning guide based on age
- Why is entrepreneurship better than a 9 to 5 job?
- What Role Does An Insurance Policy Play In Your Life?
- Ensure complete security for your spouse
- Fund your hopes and dreams with a Guaranteed Income Plan
- When Should You Buy A Single Premium Insurance Plan?
- How Life Insurance Shields Your Wealth?
- Tata AIA: Fastest growing life insurance company in India
- 6 Important Facts about Life Insurance
- A majority of Indians do not have life insurance
- Difference Between Linked and Non-Linked Insurance Plans
- Secure Your Child's Future Through Life Insurance
- What is an effective financial goal?
- Life Insurance: Most Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Term Insurance Covers COVID-19 Coronavirus?
- Plan today to secure tomorrow
- Tata AIA Life Consumer Confidence Survey
- 5 Tips for How to Sell Life Insurance
- Best Life Insurance Plans in India
- Traits of Highly Successful Insurance Agents
- Why Become an Insurance Agent?
- How To Become An Insurance Agent In India
- What is a Term Insurance Plan?
- Why Choose Sales as a Career?
- Is Selling Life Insurance the BEST Career Option?
- Witty and Meaningful Life Insurance Quotes and Sayings
- How to Use Life Insurance for Retirement Income
- Why Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Start your own insurance agency